Osgood K-1 Center PTO Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 10, 2011
Members present: Becky Dockter, Betsy Dodds, Carly Tufte-Schenck, Erin Wendt, Jen Guler, Jen Kava, Kim Minot, Laura Deltener, Lisa Giese, Melissa Krystosek, Michelle Angus, Shannon Jantzi, Stephanie Asheim, Tracy Boehm, Chuck Schwan, Jennifer Schoepp, Jill Machayya, Jolien Schwan and Roland Lade
Welcome- PTO President Roland Lade welcomed the group and attendance sheet was passed around.
Minutes from the last meeting on September 12, 2011 were handed out for review and approved.
Background Checks- New this year the WFPS are requiring background checks for volunteers. You only need to complete the form once and it is good for the entire school year and at all schools in the district. The general rule is that if you plan to at some point volunteer in your child’s classroom or at various PTO events, you should go ahead and complete the form. A copy has been attached and can be returned to your child’s teacher.
Book Fair Oct 17-18- Becky Dockter passed around a sign up sheet to volunteer, and volunteers are still needed. It was decided that we would try to have it staffed starting at 2:30 each day so that parents picking up kids would have an additional opportunity to shop. An additional email will be sent to try and fill the last volunteer openings.
Fundraising Update- Michelle Angus reported that our total sales for the Club Choice Fundraiser totaled $25,349 which give us total profits of $10,039. Items are to be picked up this Thursday, October 13th from 5-7pm. A sign up sheet was also passed around for people to help with the unloading of the truck, organizing and pick up time.
Santa Visit- Lisa Giese wanted to get a start on planning as she will not be at the November meeting. The date will be determined with school staff closer to December. We are still looking for a Santa costume, if anyone has access to one that could be used, please let Lisa or any of the officers know. There are 4 people who have volunteered to do the shopping and we will wrap the gifts after the December meeting. Once of the budget changes was to reduce the amount spend on each class from $50 to $25, so that should make the amount of shopping and wrapping manageable. Once the date is set, we will ask for 1-2 PTO members to volunteer to join Santa on his visit and hand out candy canes.
Teacher Appreciation- Kim Minot and Stephanie Asheim let us know that they had provided goodies in the staff lounge for Custodian Appreciation Day and Jen Kava reported that it was very well received. They will continue to do the same for all the other special days during the year. Teacher Appreciation week will have something special for 5 days. PTO will also buy yearbooks for the staff as in years past.
They have also lined up the food for conferences. The first night will be pizzas from Goodfella’s which has been donated by Stephanie Asheim and the second night will be provided by Olive Garden at no cost.
Budget Discussion- The proposed budget was handed out for review and we voted to approve it, knowing that funds can be reallocated as needed due to changes in requests from teachers, etc. Several new requests were reviewed on an individual basis. These were requested at the meeting between Dr Sheldon, the staff team leads and PTO officers.
- Kindergarten Field Trip to the Wahpeton Zoo. Due to this being a large expense (almost $2500) and some concern that more of the Kindergarten teachers should be asked for input, this was tabled until the November meeting. Roland will discuss further with Dr Sheldon and Jen Kava will seek feedback from other teachers.
- Preschool Field Trip to Red River Zoo. The expense to send the 53 preschool students was approved.
- Camera Purchase. It was proposed to purchase 4 additional cameras at a total cost of $600. There was some discussion as to if they would be used often, or if some teachers might prefer to use their own cameras. Also, it was suggested that maybe families who are upgrading their own cameras might consider donating their digital cameras to the school. The cameras are used to get the candid photos used in the yearbook. In light of the discussion, we voted to table this item until the next meeting. If you are interested in donating a camera, please let us know.
- Library Pumpkin Contest. $60 was approved for Barnes & Noble gift cards to be purchased for the contest winners.
- Tricycle. The preschool teachers requested $350 for a preschool size (larger than usual), heavy duty tricycle. This purchase was approved.
- Sound Amplifiers. The school currently has two of these, and requested two more. The cost would be approximately $1000 each. This was also tabled until November as a couple of the teachers were researching the options and costs. Also, Chuck Schwan may also be able to assist with discounted pricing for these items through his employer, so he will check into that more.
- Rock Climbing Wall. $1000 was approved to go towards the proposed rock climbing wall. They still need to confirm that it is OK to have this in the facility from an insurance standpoint, etc. Also, the PE teachers are to be looking into additional means of funding the project. If this does not go forward, funds will be reallocated. Likewise, if it does move forward and we are able to provide additional assistance later in the year, we can approve additional funds at that time.
Chuck E Cheese nights- Chuck E Cheese offers fundraising nights where a percentage of the profits from your night are donated back to the organization. We did 3 nights like this last year, and will plan to do them again this year. This time we’ll do just two nights, but will do the two nights 2-3 times during the year. Likely on Monday/Tuesday nights. Additional information to follow when dates are arranged.
Skateland is already booked for the year for fundraising events.
It was also suggested that to assist in covering the costs for PTO sponsored field trips, we could consider sending a note or envelope home with kids saying that they are going to participate in a PTO sponsored field trip that costs $XX per child and ask if parents would like to sponsor a child- or children, they can do so by returning their donation in the enclosed envelope.
Other business- The already budgeted $500 for Penny & Pals is needed to pay for a performance in November. This was approved.
Next Meeting Monday November 14th 7pm Osgood K-1 Center.